Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What oil for my car?

My 1994 volvo 850 has 189k miles on it. Should I still stick with regular oil or go for high mileage or full synthetic?


Thanks.What oil for my car?
get the full synthetic, you can get all thats left of your car out of itWhat oil for my car?
NO, DO NOT GO WITH SYNTHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!





holy crap, yes you should go with high mileage.





Since you've been using regular oil, all the gunk that's built up from it has helped seal the gaskets. If you switch to synthetic this late in the car's age, you might start seeing leaks. As a general rule, its never good to switch between synthetic and regular oil, unless its a brand new car with a few thousand miles on it.
I have a '90 Ford Van with high mileage and low oil pressure. I switched to the High mileage oil and it seems to be helping the oil pressure. Not an expert, just my personal experience. The other choice was going to be install a new engine.


My impression of the older Volvo is that they are a well built vehicle and should last a long time. Good luck.
Stay away from the synthetic. if you were using the 10W30 then go with the 10W40 or 20W50. If you dont feel the need to change then stick with the same oil.
I agree with others not to switch to (full synthetic). .Being a high mileage car it could cause leaks which could lead to worse problems. There is a method for switching but is time consuming, expensive and not foolproof. I would stick to your regular oil or if anything a high mileage oil and change it at a 3000 mile interval. With close to 200k you've been doing something right. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Good luck and happy motoring.
With nearly 200k miles on it I do not think that it matters at this point. Just continue to follow the manufactures recommended oil and change the oil as recommended.





Synthetic oil takes longer to break down and from the beginning it will make a difference but because of the mileage you already have I do not think it will matter much at this point. However if your Volvo is in good condition you may consider changing to the mixed mineral/synthetic. I would ask your Volvo certified mechanic.














Best of Luck
just use a high quality 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil and change it every 3k miles and you will have continued success with your vehicle. getting to 189k is proof that you've been doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment