Saturday, December 26, 2009

My car dealer says I should change my oil every 3000 miles? Is this true?

Check your owner's manual. Quite frankly, the engineers that designed the car know more than your local mechanic, the dealer's mechanic, or most of the folks here (I'm sure they know more than me!). They don't just make up those numbers. Besides, your local mechanic and your dealer's mechanic have a profit incentive to get you to change your oil as often as possible.





Also, most cars come with a maintenance guide that works as a little checklist. Look for it in your glove box.My car dealer says I should change my oil every 3000 miles? Is this true?
I have my oil changed at a Ford dealer and they put on the sticker that the next change is due in 6 months or 5,000 miles. My oil life left sensor says that I have 35% oil life left at 5,000 miles, I go with the dealers recommended 5,000 mile interval with the Ford dealer Works Maintenance package that includes premium synthetic blend 5W20 oil, new filter, tire rotation, Safety inspection, Battery test, Vacuum interior, top off all fluids and a car wash for $40.00.My F150 has 170,000 miles on it and still runs as good as new.My car dealer says I should change my oil every 3000 miles? Is this true?
Why?





sould go 7500 8000m
yes, but a lot of owners manuals actually say more like 5,000
The concensious of professional mechanics is 3000 miles.
yES it's best if you have the warranty too keep up on.


The High end vehicles I test drive for have been testing a maintenance schedule that can go at 15,000 mile intervals.


But they are only strecthing it that far because High end vehicles are sold with a Maintenance plan at no extra cost to the customer. The more dusty areas you live in would also recomend even sooner. Like every 2000 miles
Yep!
NNNNOOOOOO!!!!! is not true, u can change the oil every 5k and if u use synthetic oil u might be able to 7k with out and oil change.... there is an oil brand name AMSOIL is made to have oil changes every 30k all u have to do is change filter every 7 or 10k and ad maybe a quart every oil change to replace the oil in the filter. is an excellent oil.


BUT CHANGING OIL EVERY 3K IS A REAP OFF FRONT THE SHOPS AND OIL CO. BELIEVE me, i drive my vehicles @130k a year...imagine how much money i save by not listening to them.
You can pay 'em now..........or,you can pay 'em a lot mor later.
Depending on how and where you drive 3000 miles sounds good. If you live or drive on dusty roads you may want to change it more often. Also, change your oil and air filters at the same time.
use mobil 1 synthetic then go every 5000 the engine will last much longer
Yes, he wants your money really bad... I'd change it every 6 months and 5,000 miles.. DON'T use fram.... 10 bucks for a filter that should cost 5 or 6 bucks? Come on..... they're regular oil filters are cheap crap (cut open one... compare it to a wix) a wix filter can do 8,000 easy... marketing....fram is using its once good name to sell crappy filters





Btw, explain hondas 10,000 on conventional oil change interval, they're oil is relabled exxon superflo.
You must change your old every 3000 miles for your warranty. Keep a record. If you do not, they may not cover any mechanical breakdowns internal in the engine.





No warranty cars are differnt. 5000 miles is good enough depending on driving.
anything a car dealer says is true
There definitely is nothin wrong with this, but with certain kinds of oils, you dont need to change your oil that often.
if its brand new no go every 4 to 5 thousand miles, if its an older car then yes go every 3 thousand. i work at a ford dealership in ther service department and i see trucks come in especialy new ones come in for 3,000 mile oil change and i see the oil and its fine! so wait a lil longer your wallet will love you more :)
NO MATTER WHAT THE CAR MFG. SAYS OR THE OIL CO SAYS YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3000 MILES FAITHFULLY.
10 years ago maybe. Unless your towing or in dusty conditions the new oils now days are good for 5k. Pay the extra money for good oil and either use the manufactures oil filter or puralator, Mobil 1 etc. Fram is garbage end of story. The reason they say 3k so there is a better chance of them finding something to sell you. The manual that came with 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra that i bought new shows changing the oil at 5k. Save yourself some money and don't worry about it.
depends on your car, oil and filter system.





on my last car I only changed the oil once in 100K. (synthetic oil, active filter).





on my current car an onboard computer monitors the oil and tells you when to change it (honda odyssey). I have been doing about 8K between oil changes.
yes
if its a new car you need to do it between 3 and 5 thousand miles but older cars need it about every 2000
what does your owners manual say? how much are you willing to spend?





On the cheap side there is Wal-Mart oil (SL rated oil)that you can get a 5 qt jug for about $5 and a Wal-Mart filter for about $2, $7 for a oil change isn't bad.





On the other hand Mobile has a oil guaranteed for 15000 miles (also SL rated) that runs about $30 for 5 qts. Fram makes a filter, the XG model that is guaranteed for 7000 miles for $10.





I use Wal-Mart Synthetic oil $12 for 5qt jug, and the Fram XG filter $10 and change my oil every 7000 miles. I've never had any problems and all 3 of my vehicles have over 150000 miles on them.





On the other-hand, I have friends in Germany where oil prices are real expensive and they change their oil once a year





Hope this helps.
actualy 3000 miles or 3 months is just a rule of thumb but you should change the oil and oil filter that often.
  • debt consolidation loan
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment