Saturday, December 26, 2009

I think I put the wrong oil in my car, What should I do?

I drive a 2003 honda civic and I put 10w-30 and it takes 5w-20, should i get the oil changed? will this effect my motor in any way?I think I put the wrong oil in my car, What should I do?
It shouldn't hurt your car. It is just a little bit thicker than the 5W-20. Just change back next time.I think I put the wrong oil in my car, What should I do?
10-30 will be fine if you don't live in the coldest climate, especially in the winter. If you live in the southern states, don't even bother wasting your money on the oil change. If you live up north then you better change the oil. Start it up, get it up to running temperature then drain the oil. No need to change the filter if its brand new. That's just wasting money. A little of the other weight oil won't hurt anything especially if you stay with the same manufacturer.
10-w-30 wont hurt a thing on it its just a thicker oil and will stay with it better ,but you don't have to waste the oil you put in it next time just use what ever you want back in it,it wont hurt a thing on it,10-w-30 is a good oil and is approved for all cars especially high mileage ones,if you got over 50 thousand on it i wouldn't worry about it,good luck.
Check your owner's manual to see if Honda allows the thicker 10w30. If it doesn't, then remove it. Simple.





Not likely there is a problem for short term use. Long term is another matter, especially if you live in a colder climate.





Edit: My Dodge Magnum runs 5w20. Run 10w30 and the valve train doesn't work as designed and won't shut down 4 cyclinders on the hwy for better mileage. Who knows what Honda engineer's reasons were for 5w20?
you will notice worse fuel economy, and a lack of power in some situations, go back and change the oil again.
IDK . i would go to mechanic shop for anything happens to your car.
10w-30 is fine, its just a different weight. I don't think you will notice a difference.
you will be fine until the next oil change time and then just have them put in the 5w-20 if you so wish.
Don't worry about it.. You would just be throwing your $$ away...

No comments:

Post a Comment