Saturday, December 26, 2009

My car is leaking oil. I wont drive it until the mechanic takes a look at it...what should I expect?

Should I expect a 500 dollars repair? some little part replacement? Should I worry? Its a 1997 honda accord. Thank youMy car is leaking oil. I wont drive it until the mechanic takes a look at it...what should I expect?
How much oil? Your car is eleven years old so it probably will leak a little. Also, did this happen right after an oil change? I ask this as a little oil can spill onto the undercarriage of the car and drip down until its gone.





Any ways, to be sure you can drive it, you can check the oil level. The manual will tell you how to do it or you can do a search for it. But, you will have a dipstick in your engine that you pull out, wipe off with a clean paper towel or rag, stick back into the engine, and then pull out and read the oil level. If it is low according to the marks on the dip stick then you need to add more oil.





However, your leak is probably due to a seal. Either around the oil pan, the bolt that your oil is drained out of, or the oil pump. All three of these are your primary culprits. If it is the oil pump, then, he repair will be highest, followed by the oil pan, and then the bolt. At eleven years either the seal around the oil pump or oil pan will need to be replaced. I can not comment on the cost as each car is different. But, I will hazard a guess and say that $500 is way more then you can expect to pay unless your oil pump is faulty --unlikely-- or you have to replace your oil pan --unlikely unless you hit something.





I am thinking about $250 max. unless that oil pump has failed.My car is leaking oil. I wont drive it until the mechanic takes a look at it...what should I expect?
WHOA, don't go assuming what it is folks. Don't make her worry about what hasn't come, or assume it'll be all ok. It depends on where the leak is coming from, and how much is leaking as to how bad it is. Repairs could be anywhere from $50 - $4000+ depending on what needs fixed. Some things like that you never know how bad they are until you're in them, like I just did my clutch on my 82 celica, and the next time I do it I'll need a new flywheel, because it was almost trashed as it was, plus I had to do my rear main seal and oil pan gasket. My $70 repair quickly escalated to almost $200, in parts and machine fees alone. I can't imagine what it would have cost at a shop.
It's probably a $5 fix as it could be as little as a loose nut or just a hole in the oil pan. well..$5 fix if you fixed it, but a mechanic will charge 60-70 or so.
Your gaskets are leaking oil if they have never been replaced, and trust me it is more than $500 dollars to repair.
It could be as simple as a loose oil filter, head, valve covers, oil pan, etc.
Is it black, or red oil? where is the leak? specific details matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment