Tuesday, December 22, 2009

How can I tell if a car is burning oil before I buy it?

I have recently had a car (and a very good car too!) fail an MOT on emissions. So now I need a new car, but I don't want to spend all that money only to have to scrap it again because it failed another MOT.





So, is there a way I can find out, when I go to view a potential car, if the car is burning oil? What should I check for in the service history, and how can I test for it, without taking it to a garage?How can I tell if a car is burning oil before I buy it?
Get a compression test done on the engine to see if the rings or valve seals are worn, which is a strong indication that the car is burning or will be burning oil.How can I tell if a car is burning oil before I buy it?
You must live in the United Kingdom.





Why wouldn't you just fix your car and have it re-tested? Unless the cost to repair your car outweighed the value of it.





You can always take the car you are looking to buy to a mechanic or have MOT test done to the unregistered vehicle. 拢50.35
Have someone with you when you look at one, stand by the tailpipe and watch for blue smoke when you start it or rev the engine, It would be better to start it when it's cold any problems would be readily seen. You could also pull the spark plugs and check them to see if they are fouled with oil, they would look wet.
First tell tale sign is black smoke from the exhaust pipe when you rev the engine!

No comments:

Post a Comment