Thursday, January 7, 2010

Anybody changes the oil in their car once a year? do you recommend it?

I drive a Corolla 07, and I'm about to change its oil soon.


I ran into the following websites and was amazed how


there exists a once a year oil change. I've never heard of it before.


check these links out





http://yearlyoilchange.com/Yearly_Oil_Change_Home.html





http://www.millionmilechevy.com/





what do you think? is it legitimate? can i do it myself?Anybody changes the oil in their car once a year? do you recommend it?
wel with right type of oil they say you can go about 10,000 miles before it breaks down but why push it and run risk of damage 5000 to 8000 miles with any synthetic oil wouldnt push pass 8000 miles but mobil one test say 10,000 miles before they had a failure and Amsoil been a round long time so that has to say something about product as for if you can change oil sure anyone can do a oil change just as easy and cheap to pay to have it done but knowing how priceless in keepingyour car running longer more you care longer it last with last problems ive never used it before but its been a round long timeAnybody changes the oil in their car once a year? do you recommend it?
you can maintain anyway you want//you will end up with the results and dont complain when the stove goes up in smoke//do you think these websites will say ohhhhh im sorry heres a new car???? // i am driving a 03 focus w/214k miles and i am going to keep doing what i have been doing and go for 300k/and i dont go slow/i am the guy behind you blowing the horn at 80 on 80 to get outta the way
I found a good local Garage to do mine. I bought the Oil %26amp; Filter, took it to them, they did the Oil %26amp; Filter change then Stamped the Service Manual for me. It is best to change Engine Oil on a Yearly Basis, it gets thin %26amp; watery after a while %26amp; does need to be changed. You benefit in the long-run cos your Engine will last longer !
What type of oil is that? Oil's viscosity lowers depending on the operating conditions. Heat in the engine breaks down oil, there is also problems of fuel-oil dilution and other impurities. I would not recommend anything other than to follow manufacturer's recommendations unless you want to do an experiment and I will be definitely interested in the results, keep us posted.
depends how many miles you do,,,they say about 30 000 miles for every oil change
If you run Mobil 1 synthetic oil rated for 15K miles, you can change the oil once a year, but there are a few buts . . .





from the results of hands on testing, oil filters, with all included, the best of which (at the time of testing) were found to be plugged and by-passing dirty oil back to the engine at or near the 3K mile mark. This would mean then that you would have to replace the oil filter and add a quart of oil every 3K miles or so. This is a good idea because that one quart will also replenish the additives that will be pretty much used up at that 3K mark also.





the type of driving you do is also a factor to consider, if your driving is mostly short trips of 10 miles or less, the engine does not have a chance to burn off water accumulation (as a byproduct of combustion) this then mixes with the oil and forms an acid that the bearings really do not like.





so, if this is the case, I do not recommend it for you, most likely you will discover (as I did when I tried this in my '85 Cougar) that the oil consumption increases as the miles accumulate, so you add more oil over time, and synthetic oil is more costly than dino oil.





so just continue to change it every 3 months or 3K miles.
I would never wait a year to change the oil in my truck. Whether someone says it's safe or not.
don't trust it. do what your manufacturer recommends. do you really want to risk it?
depends on car's condition and which oil. regular oils are only recommended up to 5,000 miles max while synthetics like pennzoil platinum, mobil 1, and amsoil, with a good filter (wix/napa gold, or amsoil) can go approx 8 to 10k miles. It is best to follow owner's manual---on a toyota with 5k oil changes it could last you a long time. check out bob is the oil guy forums....
i would recommend that you take it to a garage and let them do it, and if you want your car to last a long time with little problems then its a good idea to have a regular maintenance schedule change the oil about every 3000 miles transmission fluid about every two years along with a through check of all your other fluids about the same time you change the fluid in the transmission. keep on this schedule and your car will run great for a long long time.
I own a Mobile Auto Repair Business and I am an Amsoil Retailer and can tell you that with the proper synthetic, you can do this easily. I hate doing oil changes on my own vehicles, girlfriends and parents because it costs money and time. All are on Amsoil synthetic and have been for several years and I change them all about once a year. It saves wasted oil and time which is something I need for my customers.





If you were driving a sports car, work truck or doing alot of stop and go driving, I wouldn't recommend going that long, but still you could go alot longer than conventional oil.





I have spoken to the engineers at Amsoil on numerous occasions and they have repeatedly gone over 30K miles on their oil, especially in diesels, based on LAB analysis and not just looking at it and guessing.





I had a customer make a mistake and go over 18K miles on her oil change. She was suppose to go 7,500 miles. I know that she forgets and decided to start using Amsoil Synthetic in her car without telling her. I am fairly confident that conventional oil would have caused severe damage.





There isn't one person here that can tell you what is best for you. Follow your manufacturers recommendations or send it in for analysis. The lab results are the only thing that can tell you the detailed characteristics of the quality of the used oil in your car.
Thanks, but, NO THANKS.





I have a 50 year old modified race engine in my Jaguar and I will be changing the oil every Spring and every Fall regardless of the mileage that it accrues over the year. I know what the rebuild costs are for one of these motors is and I am not going to trust it to some 'snake oil' salesman.

No comments:

Post a Comment